To see other pages, either click on the links in the sidebar, on the labels, or on the newer or older post links below the comments.

Sunday, April 1, 2018

Sturbridge, Mass and Rehoboth Beach, Delaware

We had planned on taking our Sonic Travel Trailer south with us, but since my husband had never towed anything before, we decided to make the trip without the camper.

It was sad because we were so anxious to use it for the first time, as well as it would have been nice to have a place of our own, but it was also kind of scary thinking of towing it so far from home for the first time. If we had brought it, we probably would have stayed on I95 the whole way south, with no spur of the moment side trips and visits to see friends we hadn't seen in years, but the trip itself would have been more relaxing.

This camper, as well as the trip are bucket list things for me. I have stage four cancer, and have to go back to the hospital on 5 April. I don't know what I will find out, so after spending all of last summer and fall in the hospital, and all winter in the house, we decided to enjoy ourselves for one month before I go back to the hospital. Even though we didn't take the camper, I decided to put our trip on the blog, and talk about some of the places we really liked, as well as what we were disappointed in.

The first leg of most of our trips is almost always as far as Sturbridge, Mass. I was born and raised there, and it is about seven hours from where we live now. Up until a few years ago, my mother still lived there, so we stayed with her. Now, we normally stay at the Super 8. We like the rooms with the balconies over Cedar Lake, and it isn't far from the Sturbridge common where I grew up, so we always go and either drive, or walk around the common to see what changes there are in the old neighborhood. We also love the Host, and it has lots of memories for us, since my father was the electrician there for years. The reason we stay at the Super 8 instead, is because of the continental breakfast. The same goes for the Publick House. My mother, brother, grandfather, an uncle and I have all worked there at various times, and it is right in the same neighborhood as where I grew up, but the breakfasts at the Super 8 are better and easier. The trip to Sturbridge was uneventful, and the next morning, we traveled to New York state, and across the new Tappan Zee Bridge, and over to the Delmarva Penninsula.

One of the interesting things about traveling without the camper, is we randomly pick a place to look for a room for the night. This time, we decided to try Rehoboth, Beach, Delaware. We got down there, and looked at the hotels, and parked at the easiest one. It turned out that we got really lucky, it was the Boardwalk Plaza, and it was wonderful!

The hotel is a representation of the Victorian beach front hotels from the old days, and the rates were off season rates. I also am on a pureed diet, so there are many places where I can't eat. In Victoria's Restaurant at the hotel, they made a nice pureed crab stew for me, and a wonderful smoothie for breakfast. The above photo is of the hotel from the beautiful sand beach.

This is the front desk of the hotel. The minute I went inside, I knew I wanted to stay here, so I was really excited when they told me the off season prices!

The beachfront rooms weren't much more expensive than the side balcony rooms, and now I sort of wish we had gotten one of those, but the side balconies with the partial water view were wonderful as well. It was really cold down there, so we didn't spend much time outside anyway.

This is one of the photos inside the room. It was really beautiful, with lots of extras. The only thing it was missing, that is usually in hotel rooms now is a refrigerator. With my health problems, I really need a refrigerator, but since the weather was cold, we kept my food stuff on the balcony in the cooler, and it was fine.

This is the spa area in the hotel. It is just beautiful, and is an indoor/outdoor pool. I hope so much that sometime I will be able to have my feeding tube and tracheostomy tube removed so we can go back there and I can try it out!

This is the dining room. It is on more than one level, and also has an outside section for when the weather is good. The dining room, (Victoria's), as well as the whole hotel has a lot of Queen Victoria memorabilia. I loved staying here, and would really like to go back again sometime!

We just got home from our trip, and I see that The hotel charged us for taking liquor from the liquor cabinet thing, which we did NOT! I don't even drink, and hate those liquor cabinet things in my room. The same thing happened to us the only other time we had a room with a liquor cabinet thing in it. Now I will have to call them and argue with them, but it will probably be like the last time, and we will have no way of proving that we didn't touch it. I would be really interested in hearing from other people to see if hotels have wrongfully charged them for booze.

No comments:

Post a Comment